Sunday, June 14, 2009

After 3 months...

...its still ok to cry.

I know most of my posts are of the more informative variety, but as my dear friend Kairol pointed out, no one talks enough about dying or grieving, and maybe its ok for me to do that too.

So, I spent a lot of time this week crying. And I think thats perfectly ok. Some weeks are going to be harder than others, and I think Ive been really patient with myself when it comes to how Im mourning the loss of my husband.

I stay away from words that refer to grief as a "process"- that somehow implies that some day you'll be done with it, and I dont think thats a fair expectation to put on yourself. Coping with the loss of your spouse isnt a puzzle that you can put together and finish. I see it as more of a place, a marker in the line of your life. As time moves on so do you, walking quickly or slowly, progressing at varying pace, moving ever so slightly away from that place. No matter what though, that place is always there, just over your shoulder, always a part of you. The goal isnt to be done with it, to get away from it, but to keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment