Thursday, June 3, 2010

Parent & Kid Zine read at CLP



Tonight my son and I got to participate in a Parent/Kid zine reading at the Carnegie Library. Jude Vachon, creator of the amazing local resource Be Well! Pghorganized tonight's event, and invited us to come and read. I took along copies of the BRICKS booklet to hand out, but chose not to read my submission. I let my 12 year old son do the reading- hes been making a zine called "Swirling Vortex of Terror" since 2005, when he was only 7.

While we were there, we had our first opportunity to see the bookshelves we bought and donated to the library in honor of my husband, to house his very large zine collection which he had intended to donate to the library. After his death, we took the MANY boxes of zines to the library, where theyve all been catalogued and are currently available to be read by the public. Many of the zines are from Rick's own private collection, the rest were part of a project he helped curate called Comic Release. There are literally HUNDREDS of zines on every topic from art, GLBTQ issues, music, health/illness, comics, and so many more. It was amazing to see all of it in one place, available to the world, exactly how Rick wanted it. It also made me very proud to know that my son and I continue to make contributions to zine culture, a culture thats alive and well in Pittsburgh, and that Rick's contribution lives on in such an amazing local institution.

No comments:

Post a Comment